Fifteen Family Favorite Books For Kids
We asked parents, kids, and families to let us know what their favorite books were, especially to read with each other. Lots of great suggestions came our way, including these fifteen favorites:
1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle 1-3 years
Amazing artistic illustrations, fun counting book, die-cut pages, 12 million copies in over 20 languages - need we say more?
2. Good Dog Carl by Alexandra Day 1-4 years
This was our most popular suggestion as a favorite family book. Pictures do most of the storytelling about the adventures of a baby and a dog named Carl.
3. Corduroy by Don Freeman 2-5 years
Kids love to join Corduroy on his adventures coming to life in a store at night.
4. Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle and Jill McElmurry 2-5 years
Happy noises, rhymes and illustrations make up this story of a well-loved truck.
5. Press Here by Herve Tullet 2-5 years
Interactive and especially engaging for a generation of kids who can use an iPhone with ease.
6. LMNOPeas by Keith Baker 2-5 years
Amusing new twist on an alphabet book with some friendly little peas.
7. Super Truck by Stephen Savage 2-6 years
One of those great combinations of all things loved by kids, this is a story of a super-hero truck saves the day.
8. The Little Red Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood and Audrey Wood 2-6 years
Parents noted a love for many of these author's books. This one has sold over 1 million copies since it's publication in 1984.
9. The Case of the Missing Donut by Alison McGhee and Isabel Roxas 3-5 years
Kids will relate to this little man on a mission.
10. Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey 3-6 years
Classic read aloud of more than 50 years.
11. Blueberries for Sal Pearson Early Learning Group 3-6 years
Many parents responded with this as their favorite book as a child. It is has also been around for 50+ years.
12. This Moose Belongs to Me by Oliver Jeffers 4-7 years
From the author of best selling The Day the Crayons Quit and many others, this clever book is enjoyable for both adults and kids with fun characters and great illustrations.
13. Owen by Kevin Henks 4-8 years
Or any other book from Kevin Henks - Lily's Purple Plastic Purse, Chrysanthemum, and Julius the baby of the World were also suggested. They are entertaining for kids with an added dose of humor for adults as well.
14. One Thousand Tracings by Lita Judge 5-9 years
This historically true, touching story of kindness and service from a child's perspective is a wonderful reminder of all we have and all we have to give.
15. Mrs. Muddle's Holidays by Laura F. Nielsen and Thomas F. Yezerski 5-10 years
A celebration of celebrations, this adorable story is entertaining as well as educational about the meaning and importance of holidays the world over.
Knuffle Bunny by Mo Williams 3-6 years
or other Mo Williams favorites like the Pigeon Books and An Elephant and a Piggie books are all clever and fun to read.
The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury 2-10 years
It would have been cheating just a little to have added this to our list because it is actually 45 classic books in one. However, as such, it is definitely our family's favorite kid's book. It includes: Madeline, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, A Chair for Mother, Good night Moon, Make Way for Ducklings, Guess How Much I Love You, Alexander and the Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, Curious George, Miss Nelson is Missing, Good Night Gorilla, Winnie-the Pooh, Bedtime for Frances, The Story of Babar, D. W. the Picky Eater, Amelia Bedelia, Owen, The Snitches and many more - all in one big happy book.